Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thursday in the Garden with Jonesie

I sort of helped out with the harvesting of the corn this week. I was a bit lazy, I mean busy with other things. I got distracted. Dad did most of the work. He set up a nice place on the deck to get the husks off the corn. Once he was done, my mom got a big knife and chopped all the sweet little kernels off the cob. Off to the freezer they went like good little corn. Dad kept looking for me, but I was off having some fun.
Mom caught up with me later hanging out with the carrots. I just love the carrots. Not that I want to eat them or anything, I just think it's cool when they come out of the ground all covered in dirt and stuff.
I help mom hose them off before she takes them in the house. We still have lots of parsnips and carrots to harvest.
Even though I work hard, I take the time to say hello to furriends and family. Cecilia and I like each other most of the time and we even share noses kisses every once in awhile.

It is true what Ginger said about me. I got stuck in the greenhouse earlier this week. I just wish she didn't report about everything I do. I was just in there to figure out what needs to be done. I don't mind spending extra time in there this time of year. It's getting a bit chilly outside and the greenhouse is warm and sunny. Plus dad knows exactly where to find me and I like it when he comes looking for me and makes a fuss.
Be sure to go visit my good pal Alfie in his garden. He's always up to something fun!

18 comments:

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Our carrots are almost that big. It is hard to grow corn here. The Woman hopes to try again next year in a different spot--but corn is definitely iffy.

Cat with a Garden said...

We are in awe that anything will grow at your place. We have bad growing conditions with poor soil, shade and everything in pots instead of the earth. Sigh, how can we ever become such good Gardening Cats like you?
Siena & Chilli

ZOOLATRY said...

You gonna make some succotash?

Anonymous said...

Wot a lovely gardening post today ~ mine is a bit lack-lustre. I haven't been able to get outside much 'cos of mom's poorly leg and then when I did get out the lovely crunch autumnal leaves distracted me.

Alfie Marshall xx

Slash and Bronzy said...

We haf nefer hung out wif carrots before. We should try!

The Florida Furkids said...

Your garden is so wonderful! Those corns look so purrty and the carrots look good too. Your a good garden snoopervisor.

Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

Parker said...

Harvesting is a lot of work, I salute your snoopervision skills!

The Island Cats said...

Wow! That's a lot of corn you got there!! We can see the harvest was good! We're sure it's because you snoopervised everything so well, Jonesie!

Forever Foster said...

Your family would be feasting even if the supermarkets shut. What a great harvest. Beauty, brains and talent- you've got it all, Jonesie :)

The Monkeys said...

You have such a wonderful garden, Jonesie! The corn looks delicious

Anonymous said...

Hello Jonesie,
*jane waves paw*
We wandered over here from Alfie and Milo's blog. We love gardening too! Those carrots look really pretty. We'd like to join you all with gardening on Thursday and hope you don't mind us putting in a link to your blog...

jane & Alice

Amy & the house of cats said...

Wow I am so jealous you have all that tasty corn! It is my favorite (always has been). I like that you help with the carrots - when I was little we had a dog who used to pull the carrots out - only carrots, nothing else. I think he liked them.

I can understand why you would like the greenhouse - a nice warm place but still kind of outside - sounds good to me.

The Kitty Krew said...

Ohhhh, The Mommy says that corn looks good. She wishes she had any kind of gardening ability (*cough* she's lazy *cough*). You did a great job with your garden, with all that corn and carrots and peppers and everything else! Well done!

Purrs and hugs,
The Kitty Krew

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Momma wants to come hang out with you in your garden and get some tips.

purrs
Abby

Quill and Greyson said...

Oh Jonesie you rock the yard! Corn too!

GLOGIRLY said...

Hi Jonesie,
You're so lucky to have such a great garden to hang out in. Even when Glogirly brings home the carrots with green tops on them from the grocery store, it's just not the same.

xxoo,
Katie

CCL Wendy said...

Jonesie -- what's up with you getting stuck in the greenhouse and the garden shed earlier? I think you take your work too seriously.

Although, you do have fantastic results!

Slash and Bronzy said...

I always knead on Mommy whenever she wears her fleece. It feels so good on the paws!

~Bronzy