Thursday, April 28, 2011

Society of Feline Gardeners- Thursday in the Garden with Jonesie

::3 paw taps::

Welcome back to my garden.  We had 1 day of sunny weather last week.  We took full advantage!  Cory and Ellie spent their time rolling around on our deck.  This is me looking up at them.

Figaro and I had better things to do.  We are not yet able to plant any of our vegetables.  It's still way too wet and cold.  We have had hardly any days of weather above 55 degrees.  We're afraid if we plant little baby plants, they will rot.  That would be too sad.

Figaro thinks that it makes sense to look cool.  I have no idea how that is helpful, but he said if he does this it keeps mom and dad out in the garden for longer periods of time.  It works.

I walked away from him and he followed me.  He still knows that he needs to stick with me if he's to learn anything about gardening.  Our Solomon's Seal is starting to look healthy and green.  Soon it will get little white/green flowers.

I helped mom research it on the web and this is what she found out:

Solomon's Seal is edible and medicinal, the young edible shoots are an excellent vegetable when boiled and eaten like Asparagus.

Can you believe mom and dad have been growing this for years and had no idea they could eat the stuff!

You're welcome mom and dad.

They have not been brave enough to try it yet.

I admit that I'm getting tired of all the soggy dreary rain we've been getting.  I know I've meowed about having patience, but I'm beginning to run out.  I even voluntarily stayed inside the house last Sunday.  Me...garden cat.  Lover of the great outdoors, queen of my yard.

Yes, the warm couch has been looking really good.

My one sunny day will have to be enough to sustain me until REAL spring arrives.  Whenever that is.

Hope you are getting some sunbeams in your garden!

Please leave a link so all of our garden pals can visit.

21 comments:

Gemini and Ichiro said...

You will have to tell me how it tastes. I forget what the medicinal properties are though...

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

::3 paw taps::

Hi Jonesie,

Tell Figaro he does lok cool! MOL! It's wonderful that he is prepared and willing to learn all abowt gardening. He reminds me of myself when I was a kit!

Pity abowt the weather in yoor neck of the woods ~ but when yoo come over for the Royal Wedding tomorrow yoo can bask in the English sunshine! Beans are invited to ~ and all siblings in cluding woofies, we can't wait!

I've neber heard of a Solomon's Seal before ~ that's the wonderful thing abowt gardens, yoo learn sumfin noo EVERY day! Fanks.

Love Alfie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

It sounds like things are getting a really late start in your garden, Jonesie! I hope the weather gets better soon, because I know that staying indoors is just not really your nature.

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

::3 paw taps::
The kitties are all looking enthusiastic and rearing to go. hope the weather co-operates

It's been raining since Easter, with more of the same for the next week. My garden is flooded. Say no more.

ZOOLATRY said...

The ZH says maybe a little of your rain would help her garden go from brown-to-green...
wait a minute, she doesn't really have a garden.
She nurtures weeds.

The Island Cats said...

We are so tired of all the rain too, Jonesie!! We can't get any window whiffies!! That's about as close as we come to being in our garden.

Kea said...

You're garden is looking good to us, Jonesie! You have lots growing. But we, too, have been soggy with far too much rain (again today) and are getting fed up. We might be growing only lichen and fungi in our back space this year. :-D

-Fuzzy Tales

The Whiskeratti said...

You can have some of our spring. Been very hot and muggy here.

The Florida Furkids said...

::3 paw taps::

We actually have a (sort of) Garden post today!!

The Florida Furkids and Angel Sniffie

Alasandra, The Cats and Dogs said...

Come visit us and enjoy the lovely weather we are having today. I suppose it is making up for yesterday when it was so windy.

Mommy just discovered she could eat pineapple sage. She never pays attention to us, when we try to tell her stuff. She found a recipe for a pineapple sage cake that she is eager to try.

wildcatwoods said...

This is our first garden post - we are sooo excited!

Cats of Wildcat Woods

Forever Foster said...

Hi Jonesie! We only have bad news to report from our garden, so we might skip over that... :P

We've loved looking back over your posts and seeing all the gorgeous photos. Grete's post the other day was stunning! :)

Angel Simba said...

Nice you got one sunny day to be out, Jonesie and Figaro. I am still working to see if I can do a gardening post today, because it is soggy here today and Mom doesn't have any recent pictures of me in our garden.

GRAÇA said...

Hello I am Kika and I love having friends and talk to them!
I have friends from many different places in the world
I would like to have as friends because he lost a friend who loved him "Praline"
Come to my blog know me and see if they want to be my friends, I am waiting for your visit ...
Ronrons of a. ...
Kika

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Your garden is looking so lovely, and we cannot believe you've not had weather over 55! WOW...it's 92+ here right now. I would gladly send it to you!


>^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<
Abby Ping Jinx Boo Gracie
purrin
xoxox
~ManxMnews

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

We am havin the same rain problem here Jonesie! There are seeds TBT should have planted weeks ago but there is heavy rain forecast evry time the soil dries out enough ta plant them.

I dont really care about the carrots an radishes and that stuff very much, but I do like ta see them grow.

Iza

CCL Wendy said...

Well, Jonesie, it's been about the same around here. Lots and lots of rain, and the odd day of sun. Those pictures look pretty darn nice -- everything is so green in your yard.

You know what they say "April showers bring May flowers". Now let's just hope that's true.

That Soloman's Seal sounds great -- I don't know why your folks would be wary about trying it. I mean what about just a little taste?

Maybe you'll have to give some to Cory and see what she thinks first. LOL!

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

We are very tired of this crappy weather too! But at least you had one good day and got some Vitamin D in your system!

Katnip Lounge said...

So, do your Beans have webbed toes?

Tell 'em to come see us and dry out!

Just Ducky said...

STill cool here but some more flowers are open. We finally got mum to post our Garden Thursday.

Quill and Greyson said...

Mom is so excited she's planted a garden!!