Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thursday in the Garden with Jonesie and friends

It's a busy time in the garden. Today I want to talk about using tools and teamwork to get the job done. I can't be expected to manage the garden all by myself, and even the human staff can't do all the tasks I assign to them.
One of the best tools I have is the soil and water meter. I stick this in the ground and it tells me how wet or dry the soil is under the surface. If I were to rely on paw feel alone, I'd be wrong. The dirt looks dry on top, but I can tell by looking at this that my mom and dad just watered a whole lot and I don't need to do any more.

Next, I give assigments to my woofie Grete. She is an expert at patroling the perimeter of the yard and keeping introoders out. She listens to everything I tell her.

See how Grete uses her sense of smell to sniff out the introoders?
She is very thorough and goes in to the bushes and checks out the fence line. She leaves nothing unsniffed. Good work Grete!
All my peas are done for the season and now we are waiting for the green beans to arrive. We have eggplants that will be ready to eat next week and a few little tomatoes have made an appearance, but they are still very green.
Don't forget to visit my young friend Alfie, Garden-Cat-In-Training to see what he's up to in the garden this week!

20 comments:

Reese =^..^= said...

You garden is coming along very nicely! I have a bumper crop of weeds, as usual.

Motor Home Cats said...

You have some good tools and helpers. We can't wait to see what the next bumper crop to come out of your garden is.

Tavi, Cody, Camie, Miss Jade and Gracie

Parker said...

Grete is a good patroler!

The Island Cats said...

You've got some good help there in Grete, Jonesie! Your garden is doing so well!

CCL Wendy said...

I always enjoy your post on gardening every Thursday, Jonesie! You are so knowledgeable and well-organized. You are also a very good leader because you keep all your helpers in line.

I must say, Grete is a very good dog, though, and takes her duties to heart.

Soon you will reap the rewards of all your hard work! Well done!♠

The Creek Cats said...

It's definitely a team effort to keep your garden in the great shape it's in! That meter is very awesome! We'd hate to see what it says about our flower beds..... it would probably say PARCHED!

The Florida Furkids said...

That meter looks like a great thing to have. Our Mom could use one of those!! Having Grete patrol the perimeter is a big help too.

Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

Tuck said...

It must be hard work to keep such a nice garden in tip-top shape!

The Kitty Krew said...

You do such a wonderful job, Jonesie, and it's good that Grete helps you as well!

Purrs and hugs,
The Kitty Krew

Gemini and Ichiro said...

You guys are amazing in the garden. I am impressed.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jonesie, we love your post banner, and your new signature ~ they are splendid!
Milo xx

Jonesie, that water meter thingy is fabulous I'll speak to Mom about getting one right away! And Grete is an expert wiv her nose ~ she can help me anytime. I am learning so much from yoo. Thank you.
Loce Alfie xx

Daisy said...

It looks like Grete is a very good garden worker!

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

I think you have got everything under control there.. I love your garden and your woofie looks very friendly too..

Hugs GJ xx

Sweet Purrfections said...

What a wonderful garden! My mom refuses to work in the yard, but loves the produce of those who do.

Jasmim said...

You really are a master gardener!
Doing a good job =)

Anonymous said...

So many things must be taken into consideration when you are a Master Gardener, Jonesie! You even get to tell Grete what to do!

There have been many times when that soil tester would have come in handy in Mom's garden!

Mr. Hendrix said...

You are a very capable gardener Jonesie! It is nice that you have Grete to help you patrol. It is important to ask for help sometimes.

I wish I could see your garden in person. I think it would be great fun!

Thank you so much for the kinds words of welcome to our little Baby Joel aka #2. We are so happy to have him home.

Whimpurr said...

Such experts you are!

Whimpurr said...

Cecelia, you are such a beautiful girl and we are so very happy that you are feeling all better now! *purrs*

Amy & the house of cats said...

Jonesie you are a great gardner! And I love love LOVE that picture of you with Grete - it is just so cute!