Monday, August 8, 2016

Farewell Ginger


Hey there!  This is the last time you'll be getting the scoop from me.  Some of you may have already heard that I burned my candle down to the nubbins and I've run off to the Rainbow Bridge.   Since you know I like to dish all the dirt, I'll fill you in on exactly what happened to me.  But first I want to reflect on my time here with my family.  This picture above and below is shortly after I arrived here in September of 2007.


I was found in Jonesies garden, under one of the fruit trees.  I was trying to act casual and cool, but truth is I was starving.   I had been abandoned and I was clueless as to how to feed myself.   Mom and dad took me inside and gave me some food and I inhaled it!   I mean, so fast that mom had to take the food away since she thought I'd pop!   She promised I would get regular meals always and I believed her.   She was nice that way.

Well, they hauled me off to the v-e-t place to get checked out and the v-e-t that saw me declared me a healthy spayed female.  (clue...this becomes more interesting later on in my story).   Mom and dad did not care about my gender identity, just that I was a healthy kitty.  I didn't care either as long as I was getting 6 squares a day!   Because I was a bit furry back there in my nether regions, mom didn't question.


Mom was kind of funny and she tried naming me Frances.   I know...seriously.   I hated it and glared at her.   She got the message.  Still wondering what to call me, Mom and Dad went to the store and they bought gingersnap cookies.  As she pulled the cookies out of the bag she told me they were gingersnaps.   I perked up!  Gingersnaps she repeated.  I was really into it.  I don't know how many times she said it but finally she got around to just repeating Ginger.  I loved it!  So that is how I got my name.   I was smart enough to pick it myself.


My life here has been awesome.  The nip grows like crazy and I could always get my fill.


And whatever I wanted, I had it.  Turn on the water for me?  Yup.  I also had great fur siblings and the best furriends a cat could have with Madison and Cecilia.   


So now to my surprise reveal.  Most of my longtime friends remember, but if you are new here, I have quite the story, link posted here and my follow up post.   My health issues started up in 2011.  As a part of my evaluation, I saw a new and very smartypants v-e-t.   She checked me out...and really looked at my nether regions and then she called my mom.  Are you sitting down?  Yes.  Why? (figuring I might have a dread disease).  Then...Ginger is a boy. What?  Hysterical laughter followed at my expense.  I mean...I always knew it!   

However, this was serious stuff and the beginning of my health problems.   I had megacolon, which was later complicated by kidney disease.  Oh yeah and in my last year or so I started having seizures (you may remember me complaining of having aliens in my cute brains) and I also had neuropathy so my hind legs didn't work so well.   I was a mess.  A cute mess, but a mess.  Mom did everything she could to care for me.  Daily medications, watching me to figure out what was going in and coming out.  You know...but mom always said I was so sweet about everything.  It's true.  I knew that she was trying to help me.

Even in the end when my pooper just stopped working.  I purred at the v-e-t place and let them do whatever they needed to do to help me.  

Unfortunately, I couldn't stay any longer.   Both my mom and dad were with me as my favorite v-e-t person assisted.   I left this world exactly how Madison and Bennette left.  Sitting on my mom's lap, being told I was loved. Getting petted by Mom and Dad until I realized I wasn't there any more.


So how is it at The Bridge?   I'm no longer sick and I'm young again.  So many of my blogging furriends are here along with my fur siblings that I haven't seen since they transitioned.  
I also hear there is an opening for a gossip columnist for The  Bridge Gazette!  I'm going to apply!


52 comments:

ZOOLATRY said...

Love ya, Ginger boy!

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Purrs to your humans, Ginger. You had a good life, but it is never long enough for them.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Reporter for The Bridge Gazette? That is just so perfect for you, Ginger! We hope you will share occasional gossip with us! Please?

Seriously, though, we will miss you, kid. We're sorry that things go hard for you towards the end but we know your family and so we know what kind of care and love you got. You were one of the lucky ones, as we are all. It was an honour knowing you, and we shall meet again one day in one big happy party!

Run Free, GingerSNAP!

Big Purrs,
The Chans (and gente woofs and soft neighs from Tommy and the Vs)

Fuzzy Tales said...

Well, our biped is crying all over again. Ginger, we know you had an awesome life with your humans, but we're still sorry it was time for you to leave. Purrs and peace to you all, with kitty kisses from us. Goddess bless.

Kim, Nicki and Derry

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Oh Ginger, it was so good to hear from you one last time. We are going to miss your gossip. We think you will make a great gossip columnist for The Bridge Gazette. Please look Charybdis & Whiskers up for us and tell them we miss them like crazy. And if you meet any guardian angel cats, ask them to please help Arty find her way home.

We know your family is sad that you had to transition and leave them behind, but take comfort that you are no longer in pain.

Until we meet again dear friend adieu.

Marg said...

Oh Ginger, that is so sad that you had to leave but just know that you had lots of love while you were with the peeps. Wish we had known you better. Lots of hugs to everyone.

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

I don't know how I missed that for four years they thought you were a girl. My goodness, what a shocker, huh? Bet you all had a laugh at that.
I am so sorry you were not well and had to leave for the bridge. I know your family must be hurting and missing you so we are purring and sending them love and hugs.

Hannah and Lucy said...

We are so sorry to hear that you had to leave us all Ginger and it must have been very sad for your humans as they must miss you so much.

The Island Cats said...

Ginger, we remember when your humans discovered you were a boycat and not a girl. That was funny! We're sorry you had to run off to the bridge. We send lots of purrs to your family because we know they're missing you so much. We'll miss all the fun gossip you dished, but it looks like the bridge just got a pawsome gossip reporter. :)

Robin + Christmas said...

Goodbye, sweet Ginger. <3

Julie said...

Oh Ginger you sound an amazing furfriend, I am so sorry that I have found you just as you have left for the rainbow bridge
Sending lots of luffs and hugs to your family
Loves and licky kisses
Princess Leah xxx

John Bellen said...

I'm sorry you had to leave your family for now, Ginger. I'm glad you are feeling 100% better but it's very sad for your friends and family back on Earth, and I send them my condolences. You sound like a wonderful feline, and I don't need to tell you that you were lucky to have found your mum and dad, and they were lucky to have found you. They will always love you, I know. Godspeed, Ginger.

Lovable Lily said...

Run free at the Bridge Ginger. There, you will be forever young!

Sending love to your family.

Hugs,
Lily Belle & Muffin

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

GInger you keep us up to date on what's going on over there at the Bridge. We know so many of your anipals are there including our two Abby & Gracie. We are so sorry for your Mom & Dad and siblings that you ran out of wick because they are still here missing you. We all will. Our deepest purrs to your family.

pilch92 said...

I am so sorry you had to go to the Bridge. Rest in Peace sweet one.

Jans Funny Farm said...

Sad for your family but know you are at peace. How nice to hear you are already looking for a job. We hope you are the new gossip columnist.

CCL Wendy said...

Once again, I am very sorry for your loss, and completely empathetic because of my own. You took in a starving little kitty and gave him the best life possible. Despite being misidentified as female, he had everything a kitty could want. He lived in a pussycat's paradise!

I hadn't realized that our Dante and your Ginger had something else in common. They both suffered from megacolon. Dante was diagnosed in 2014 and required the occasional enema (administered by a vet tech). Just the week before he passed, I managed to give him a glycerin suppository at home and thought this was the answer to him sticking around for a while longer. However it was not to be due to the underlying heart failure.

I'm sure that Ginger and Dante will meet up at the Bridge and compare stories, especially about what awesome lives they lived here on Earth. And we should remember that and find comfort in that, too.

Anonymous said...

Well Ginger, we's so sorry we never really got to know ya'. Altho' as cats, our soulds mingle and we's always know each other. We too recently lost a beluvved furry so we know your mommy and daddy are a mess without ya'. Oh they're happy dat you'/re not in pain or sick anymore, but those of us left behind just aren't da same. We's sendin' big hugs and purrayers to all.

Luv ya'

Dezi and Raena and mommy Audra

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

My "GA" Emmy was technically male her whole life too. We found out when she was young, but we never changed the pronouns we used for her.

My heart breaks for your people as it is obvious you were well loved and knowing you will be missed. Purrs of healing and condolence to them at your leaving

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Godspeed your journey to heaven Ginger; we are sorry we never had
the honor of knowing you. We know you've met up with family and
a ton of friends; your mom wrote an excellent tribute for you. We
are truly sorry and send hugs to your family ♥♥♥♥♥

boomer, dai$y, tuna, dude & sauce ~~~~~~~

Kitties Blue said...

RIP Ginger! We know you are now feeling fine and running free with your friends! We are sending our condolences accompanied by lots of love and purrs to your humans as they grieve your loss. We know you will be ever in their hearts and thoughts. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

The Florida Furkids said...

Fly free Ginger! You were loved by many and we will miss you. We remember the story of how you were a boy and not a girl!! That made us giggle at the time too!!!

The Florida Furkids and Mom Sharon

My Mind's Eye said...

Ginger what a story and what a life you had with your family. You knew love and gave love.
We know all about megacolon my human sis's first cat had it too. Run free Ginger-man and may all you find lots of tall grass and cool breezes furever
Hugs madi and mom

stellaroselong said...

What a lovely story Ginger, we wish we could have known you on this side of the bridge. Hugs to your family....stella rose and momma

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am sorry you had to leave for the Bridge, Ginger, but glad you are young and healthy again. My purrs go to your family who love you so much.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I'm so sorry you had to go the Bridge, Ginger. I sure hope you get that job on The Bridge Gazette...that sounds pawsome!

Brian's Home Blog said...

We are so sorry you had to leave Ginger but we know lots of pals are there to greet you. Hugs and love to you and the loving peeps you left behind.

Saku said...

We are so sad you had to leave Ginger, but we're happy to know you are among your fursibs and furriends who went before.

Purrs for your mom and dad. We hope the sweet memories (and funny ones too) bring them comfort.

Sasha, Sami, & Saku

Quill and Greyson said...

Oh Ginger we know you'll be hired, but we sure are heartbroken you had to leave us. You've always been one of Mom's and Angel Fin's favorites.

Purrs and hugs to your family to help ease their sadness.

rottrover said...

Ginger, I'm glad that you're comfortable at the Bridge. My Angel Sister Ruby had Megaesophagus. I figure mega colon is the same thing only backasswards. I'm sending rottie kesses to your mom and dad.

Otto

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Spread your brand new wings,, and soar to the stars little one.
I will look for your star tonight.
You were very loved, and we are so sorry
love
tweedles

Team Tabby said...

Ginger, so sorry you had to leave - you will be very popular at the Rainbow Bridge though and our brothers, Moe and Cookie, will be there to welcome you.

Mindy & Mike

Marty the Manx said...

Ginger so sorry you had to leave for the Bridge. Leaving love and gentle purrs for those you left behind. Have a great time reporting over the Bridge.
Marty and the Gang

Anonymous said...

We are so sorry for your loss. What a fine boy Ginger was. Soft Pawkisses to comfort you <3 <3 <3

meowmeowmans said...

Ginger, we're so sorry for your family, and all of us, that you had to leave. But what a wonderful life you had here, and what an amazing place the Bridge must be. We know you'll be an awesome reporter there. Love and miss you, pal.

Mr Puddy said...

Purrs and hugs to your pawrents who love you unconditionally. And the last words they did to you. It just made me leaking. Rest in peace... Sweet Ginger
xox

CATachresis said...

Sending gentle purrs to your family, Ginger! You had a good life with them and made them happy xx

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

We just heard about Ginger... And we are so sorry ta hear. Our Best Purrs Of Comfort to you all!

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

We know you are still missing Ginger but we wanted to let Figaro know we are thinking about him on his purrday.

Sweet Purrfections said...

We were so sorry to hear about Ginger. He was a beautiful cat and had a wonderful life with you.

Sweet Purrfections said...

We were so sorry to hear about Ginger. He was a beautiful kitty and so lucky to have found his forever home with you.

Goldie and Banshee said...

We are so very sorry to hear that Ginger had to go to the Bridge. Big purrs of comfort being sent to all of you from the PM and us.

Henry said...

So sorry you had to leave Ginger. Sending a big hug to your family and everyone you left behind.
Kate

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your lost. Ginger looks so cute in those pictures. Hope you are feeling better now.
Kelly

Unknown said...

Ginger, I was so sorry to read that you had to leave two months ago:( I hope your family is feeling a little better.
Hannah

Unknown said...

It was so sad to read you had to leave for the Bridge, Ginger. I really hope your family feel much better by now.
Kim

TimberLove said...

Safe travels kitteh,

Nuk

Mr Puddy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Rest in peace, Sweet Ginger
HUG & Purrs

xox

Katie and The Katz said...

I missed saying farewell last year... Missing you dearest Ginger. I remember when you mom found out you were a boy! Purrz from Earth, Katie Kitty Too.

Mickey's Musings said...

We just heard that Cory is very sick .
We want to send ler lots of healing purrs and to her folks, comforting purrs.
Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ
and the mum

Colehaus Cats said...

Sweet Ginger, we'll miss hearing of your adventures but we bet there's a lot going on at the Bridge to keep you busy! Sending hugs and love to your family, and to you, we're sending purrs.

TimberLove said...

We stopped to paw respect and gentle woooos,

Nuk & Timber